The church’s greatest resource is our children. Therefore, it is imperative that as a church we meet the challenge to provide a program for our children during their early, formative years. We want right habits, thoughts, motives, dispositions, and attitudes to be established. The Wise Man wrote, “Bring up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it” (Prov. 22:6, NIV). This is more than a cliché-it is a scientific formula. This is the purpose for developing the Adventurer Club.
Philosophy of the Adventurer
The Adventurer Club is a Seventh-day Adventist church- sponsored ministry open to all children ages
6-9, in which the church, home and school join together to help children grow joyfully in wisdom and
stature and in favor with God and man. The Adventurer Club is offered to assist parents in making the development of their child richer and
Objectives of the Adventurer Club
The Adventurer Club provides fun and creative ways for children. . .
- To develop a Christ-like character;
- To experience the joy and satisfaction of doing things well;
- To express their love for Jesus in a natural way;
- To learn good sportsmanship and strengthen their ability to get along with others;
- To discover their God-given abilities and to learn how to use them to benefit self and serve others;
- To discover God’s world;
- To improve their understanding of what makes families strong;
- To develop parental support for the training of children.
- Difference between Adventurers and Pathfinders
The Adventurer Club has been created so younger children may have a club of their own. The programming and planning for the Adventurer Club should be simple and short, but creative. In some ways the Pathfinder and Adventurer Clubs are similar, but the Adventurer program is to be unique in its own way and should be kept separate. One of the Adventurer Club objectives is to provide a meaningful and exciting experience as the children look forward with anticipation to being a Pathfinder in the future. The Pathfinder Club is designed to meet the growing needs of children ages 10-15 by strengthening healthy peer relationships. Adventurers is designed to meet the needs of 6-9 year olds by strengthening their family relationships.
It is not intended that we duplicate all the experiences of Pathfindering, but rather that by providing a separate Adventurer Club many needs of the youth aged 6-9 will be met in an exciting and enjoyable way and thus they will be ready to fully enjoy the Pathfinder experience when that time arrives.
In many instances parents have children in both clubs and may be involved themselves. Therefore, it may be necessary to operate the Adventurer and Pathfinder club meetings at the same hour and day, but this does not mean that the clubs should be combined.
Goals of the Adventurer Club
The Adventurer program is designed by the church to support parents in assisting children with the challenging task of developing fully as followers of Christ in today’s world.
What is the Adventurer curriculum designed to accomplish?
- Children will, at their own level, commit their hearts and lives to Jesus Christ.
- Children will gain a positive attitude toward the benefits, joys, and responsibilities of living a Christian life.
- Children will acquire the habits, skills and knowledge needed to live for Jesus today.
- Parents and other primary caregivers will become more confident and effective in their role as collaborers with Christ for their children.
- Church will accept its responsibility in assisting to care for its youth by providing and implementing a planned curriculum of religious education for this age level.